Aitor Arrieta is a lecturer and researcher at Mondragon University. He got his PhD in software engineering at Mondragon University in 2017. His research interests lie in the field of software testing (e.g., search-based software testing, test oracle problem, regression testing, debugging and repair), especially on testing untestable systems, such as Cyber-Physical Systems, highly configurable systems and Machine-Learning based systems. He currently leads the ADEPTNESS H2020 project, which aims at researching on DevOps methods to be applicable and scalable in Cyber-Physical Systems.
Hosted on GitHub Pages — Theme by orderedlist
View My GitHub Profile
I am a permanent lecturer and researcher (a.k.a. Associate Professor) at the University of Mondragon. My research interests include software engineering and software testing areas, mostly related to the application of these techniques in the context of Cyber-Physical Systems. In the last few years, my research has centered on the test oracle problem for this context and test optimization techniques.
My research is industry-oriented. I collaborate with different industrial companies to better understand which their real problems are.
I am currently involved in the coordination of the Adeptness project, although I actively participate in the technical part. Specifically, I am working on automated approaches for the multi-level testing of Cyber-Physical Systems.
I am currently involved in the Adeptness project
I currently collaborate in private-funding projects with the following companies:
Previously, I worked in different research projects, including:
- HIFI-ELEMENTS - H2020 Project
- TESTOMAT - ITEA 3 Project
- SCRATCH - ITEA 3 Project
- TESEO - Basque Government funded project
- DIGITAL - Basque Government funded project
- PING - Regional project
I have also worked with other industrial private-funding projects with the following companies:
- Ulma Handling Systems
- Ulma Embedded Solutions
- New journal paper at ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodologies (TOSEM), lead by Liping Han, from Simula Research Laboratory, and titled as “Uncertainty-aware Robustness Assessment of Industrial Elevator Systems”. Congrats Liping for the first journal paper of her PhD!
- I was awarded with a distinguished reviewer award at ISSRE 2022! Excited to get such a distinction!
- New journal paper at IEEE Transactions on Reliability, titled as “Performance-Driven Metamorphic Testing of Cyber-Physical Systems”. Kudos to Jon Ayerdi for his last journal paper of his PhD!
Looking for a PhD, Postdoc or other collaboration? Have a look at the opportunities!
Check my recent papers!
- 2022 – Distinguished Reviewer Award at the 33rd IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE)
- 2020 – GECCO Best paper at the Search-Based Software Engineering (SBSE) Track. Nominee to conference best paper award.
- 2019 – Best PhD dissertation presented in 2017 in Software Engineering, awarded by the SISTEDES society.
- 2019 – Early-stage researcher for his research in the field of software development and testing of industrial applications, awarded by SCIE and Fundación BBVA.
I have served at different conferences, with different roles. These are some examples:
I have reviewed for different journals, including:
- IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Information and Software Technology
- Journal of Systems and Software
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics
- Journal of Software Testing, Verification and Reliability
- Software and Systems Modeling
- Journal of Object Technology
- Since 2021-2022 course, I teach “Software Engineering”, at bachelor degree level.
- I also teach yearly a seminar on “Methodological guidelines for the preparation of a doctoral dissertation”, at doctoral level.
- Since 2018 to 2020, and from 2022 on I have been the lecturer of “Industrial Informatics” (4.5 ECTS), at bachelor degree level.
- At master level, I taughted the course “Verification and Validation of Embedded Systems” (6 ECTS), in 2018 and 2019
- I also taughted other subjects (e.g., Basic Programming) at different engineering degrees (Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, etc.)
Students and Postdoc Supervision
- Jon Ayerdi (PhD student), Graduated December 2022. Excelent Cum Laude.
- Eñaut Mendiluze (Master Student), since 2021. Now together with Rui Abreu.
- Pablo Valle (Master Student), since 2022
Previous students and post-doc supervision:
- Ernest Pobee (Postdoctoral fellow), 2021-2022
- Pablo Valle (Research Assistant), 2019-2022
- Jorge da Silva (Research Assitant), 2021
- Eñaut Mendiluze (Bachelor degree project), 2020-2021, in Simula Research Laboratory
- Joritz Galarraga (Bachelor degree project), 2020-2021, in Simula Research Laboratory
- Ander Zubizarreta (Bachelor degree project), 2021